You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
INSTRUCTIONS ON THE USE OF ICE
At Synergy Oviedo Chiropractic, we have found that the use of ice has both therapeutic and analgesic effects on the body with its proper use, taking the place of many pain and anti-inflammatory medications.
In our clinic, you may be prescribed or advised to use ice to help the healing process. The use of ice can help the body by slowing down the blood flow to the injured tissue, which decreases the amount of swelling.
When swelling is reduced, this not only aids in the healing process, but pain and irritation is reduced naturally, without the use of anti-inflammatory drugs like cortisone, steroids, aspirin, or acetaminophen.
Tissues, which respond well with the proper application of ice, include any portion of the spine, spinal discs, spinal nerves, and other joints of the body.
Dr. Janowitz recommends the soft ice packs, which can be re-used indefinitely. Additionally, crushed or cubed ice in a zip-lock bag, although messy, can also be effective.
HOW TO USE THE ICE
1. Wrap one layer of paper towel around the ice pack's clear gel side or around your bag of ice, and place over the affected area of pain or swelling as previously instructed by your doctor.
2. Application time is as follows: 10-20 minutes "on"
Ice Off: 1-2 hours
Repeat as needed.
Warning: It is dangerous, thus counter productive, to use ice more than 20 minutes continually.
3. Ice should be applied during as least the first 72 hours following the onset of pain or injury or when sharp pain exists.
4. Do not use any form of heat unless instructed specifically by the doctor. Nerves and discs are heat sensitive and its use can usually cause more harm than good. When healing with the spine, always use ice as your first line of defense.
5. When in doubt on the application of ice or heat, always use ice or ice products.
The information presented above is not intended in any way to replace appropriate treatment recommended by the doctors of this clinic or any other physician. If symptoms persist beyond a reasonable time, consult the doctors for additional recommendations. Never be afraid to ask questions, we are here to help.
Chiropractic Adjustment Hours
|7:15-10:00am||By Appointment||7:15-10:00am||By Appointment||7:15-2:00pm||Closed||Closed|